Sunday, September 25, 2011

(An awful) Response to Course Material #1

The first couple weeks of class has focused mainly on DIDLS. Detail is the simplest technique that authors use to create meaning. The area where I have seen the most improvement in myself, even in the first couple weeks, is noticing the connections between the details the author chooses and the meaning created by said detail. A good example of this is the use of details that evoke thoughts of war and the author's use of them to comment on his relationship in the article we discussed in class. Prior to this class I wouldn't know to look for connections or get any meaning from them.
Imagery is language used to create complete pictures within the readers mind, utilizing all the senses. Its far and above my favorite technique because at its best it is easily "seen" but has the potential to have several layers of meaning. Its what really makes literature fun for me.
Diction is another thing I was relatively unexposed to before starting this class. I didn't understand its ability to effect meaning. Its only now that I'm beginning to look past the obvious things, like don't use the word "stuff" or "things". I'm still confused as to whether a sentence fragment consisting of 2 or 3 words is language or diction... but what a great segue into my next topic.
My concept of language hasn't changed since I began taking the class. Its been the sole focus of most of English  education up to this point so I think I have it down.
Syntax is the most confusing element of DIDLS. However,  I can see how important it is, especially in poetry( by the way,the definition of poetry that was given to us the other day was concise and helpful, I like it.). I feel like I'm clueless to the nuance of syntax though. I'm likely to notice the obvious, like a short, choppy sentences use to create a feeling of intensity or speed, but any complicated or subtle use of syntax is likely to fly right over my head.
We have also covered poetry. I appreciate the inherent ambiguity of poetry, less words used to describe something leaves more in doubt and thus more room for interpretation. Unfortunately I'm awful at that interpretation. Finding meaning in poetry can sometimes be like finding the needle in a haystack for me. It was interesting to see Foster's philosophy of "If its square its a sonnet" be applicable though. It certainly helps in identification, although I suppose I could just count the lines, but that would be too easy.


3 comments:

  1. 1. You did an excellent job of highlighting how we have developed our understanding of DIDLS by pulling on pieces we have read since the start of the school year. You also comment on poetry and our recent venture away from prose by discussing the literary technique of syntax.
    2. I think you may want to talk about the method we were recently exposed to regarding the writing of an analytical essay. Show the reader what your response to it has been and how it has aided your growth as a writer. Has the method been easy to adopt? Inform readers about your reception of this method and compare it with the formats of essay writing that you may have used in the past.
    3. Another aspect of the class is the "out of class" work that involved reading the literature textbook and taking notes. Tell the readers how that has influenced your development as a reader and increased your store of literary terms. How do you think that will help you throughout the year?
    4. Overall, you have conveyed a good summary as well as reflection of the major focus of the class up until this point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DOUGGIIIEE!!!
    hahah great work on analyzing DIDLS and expressing your opinion about DIDLS but just as a note although we have spent most of our time on DIDLS, we have also talked about other topics such as the AP essay and such just saying
    Also, you mention how syntax is tough but if you had any suggestions on how to make it easier, that might be beneficial as well. I see you with the struggling with poetry and personally in my opinion i think the best way to get better would be through lots of practice but it would probs help if you let us know what you think would help with getting better at analyzing poetry cause i think thts sumthing a lot of ppl struggle with

    Overall, good work, i could really hear your voice in this which i enjoyed ;) anyways good work especially on analyzing every point of DIDLS and your opinion of each part and whether you understand that a lot i thought that was really good Only thing i would say is maybe make some suggestions on things we could do in class to help you with some of the things you struggle with?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This essay was really fun to read! You were completely honest when writing, and because you could hear your voice, it sounded very genuine. You did an excellent job of commenting on things you previously didn’t know that you have learned thus far, as well as being honest to the fact that you pretty much understand language (this was refreshing, since you didn’t lie and say you learned a ton about it). I like how you admit to sometimes struggling with finding the meaning in poetry but say how the things we learned are going to help with that.
    Like George said, we have also talked about things other than DIDLS. You could add a paragraph about the introduction format we learned and how that has helped you in writing so far. You could also write about the thesis lesson we had and how that contributed to your knowledge of writing theses. You did a really good job overall!

    ReplyDelete