Sunday, December 11, 2011

Response to Course Material #5

Ceremony.... I like it. I just feel a little over my head right now. I'm having a hard time distinguishing all her layers of meaning. Its also difficult to depart from the western literature view point that has been sort of ingrained in my head since the day I first stepped into a "Language Arts" class. But the emphasis on colors and the new meanings, or at least meanings that I was never aware of, make the arduous process of dissecting this book well worth it. I think its somewhat ironic that we are reading this book in the midst of this silly controversy at our school. Those articles we read really did nothing but confuse me, and its sort of hard to absorb thousands of years of culture that is required for a complete understanding and appreciation of this novel. Silko in those interviews annoyed me. I think she takes herself a little bit to seriously, but who can blame her when she has those other two women laughing at absolutely everything she says. Although thirty minutes of Youtube videos are hardly sufficient to judge a person's personality, its quite (un)safe to say the woman  has quite the ego, but her literary genius is undeniable.

No comments:

Post a Comment